The team is known for its technical expertise, high quality advice and commitment to the third sector. The team takes a firm but fair approach to claims, recognising the special position of the third sector in the eyes of the public.
The team undertakes a wide range of contentious probate work for the third sector. The cases handled frequently involve complex will/ trust disputes and problem estates where charities are major beneficiaries. We regularly deal with extremely high value estates and claims. The team’s expertise includes:
- Probate actions where the mental capacity of the deceased is in dispute, or other disputes relating to a Will, e.g want of knowledge and approval claims, undue influence claims, etc
- Applications under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- Actions against negligent and/or fraudulent personal representatives for breach of trust
- Litigation involving the construction of Wills and trusts, rectification actions, applications to remove/ substitute executors or trustees
- Overseas trust litigation
- Asset tracing and recovery
The head of the team, Angela Bowman, writes a regular 'Ask Angela' column in the Institute of Legacy Management's newsletter, and the questions and answers are reproduced here.
For further information, please contact Angela Bowman on 01865 781210.